Justices of the Peace (JPs)

are volunteers appointed by the Governor of New South Wales. The primary role of a JP is to witness a person making a statutory declaration or affidavit, and to certify copies of original documents. JPs come from all sections of the community and are available across NSW.

Contact Us

If you’d like to find a Justice of the Peace (JP), you can do this online by using the JP Public Register. You can search the Public Register by post code, name of JP, day of availability, language spoken and JP registration number.

You can also check the listing of scheduled JP services by suburb.

If neither the Public Register or the listing of scheduled JP services helps you, you may be able to find a JP at one of the following locations:

  • a local Council or Shire.

  • a police station or a court house.

  • the office of your local Member of Parliament.

  • your local shopping centre.

  • some libraries.

  • some chemists.

  • some financial institutions.